“Last night I dreamt of spiders, three GIANT spiders, trying to scurry into my house at the back door…it is considered very bad luck (and a grave misfortune upon me to kill them…) so every time I tried to get them OUT, they kept finding a way BACK IN! Through an open window, a crack in the wall… spiders are often considered as feminine power…yet these in my dream belie anxiety and fear scrambling into my secure and comfortable life (home). Perhaps the only thing to do is not avoid or push away these anxieties…but rather, i must
FIND A WAY TO WORK WITH THE SPIDERS.”
Still confused about what you’re doing here? Read this…
youR TuRn to DraW!
- Worried about what other people might think of your art? Go out and draw in public (e.g museums, parks, or galleries) – and do this REGULARLY.
- Two books come to mind, which may be helpful…no, check that, these are books YOU MUST READ NOW (both talked me down off a ledge, creatively speaking, and ideas from them continue to help me towards a more positive relationship between my creative anxieties and making art)
– Art & Fear: Observations of the Perils and Rewards of ArtMaking by David Bayles and Ted Orland
– Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert
Maybe this Ransom Note gives you a different idea? Let me know!
ShaRe the LovE
You’ve come this far, now why not
Not only does your creativity need YOU, but here’s a surprise, the world needs your creativity, too! By sharing your response to a Ransom Note, we are building a community who will enjoy, be inspired by, and learn from each other. Who knows, maybe some of us will “find our tribe” or even make the world that tiny bit more pleasant to be in than it was 15 minutes ago!
ArtisTs whO foUnD a waY to wORk with sPidERs
- Louise Bourgeois is famous for giant arachnids, some apparently relate to her mother (or motherhood)…
- Candy Chang turns “anxiety and fear into art” through the art activation of public spaces, e.g., in her Before I die…series
- 6 artists who overcome fear …and create beauty – on JamesClear.com
What other artists or techniques can you think of? Let me know!