Thanks for reading. Now pick up a pen, put away your stupid smartphone, and look at what’s all around you. Buildings, trees, dogs, other people…get engaged IN YOUR LIFE. Don’t miss out on your own living experience; draw from it instead.
Still confused about what you’re doing here? Read this…
youR TuRn to DraW!
- As you’re walking about your daily commute, don’t forget to look around and look up – in the city where I live, there’s lots of decorative elements near the roof: keystones in the shape of faces, capital features and pedestals with leaves, oddly-shaped windows, gargoyles… in the commons, or with public art everywhere, you’ll find lots of interesting things to draw.
- How do you feel about your experience of life today? Express that feeling in colour or lines.
- The more obvious idea is to Google “drop-in life drawing class“, there’s probably at least one session this week somewhere near you and many of these sessions offer tutoring or coaching for the less-experienced. Or try Royal Acadamy’s online life drawing sessions: https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/article/online-life-drawing-class-lifedrawinglive
Maybe this Ransom Note gives you a different idea? Let me know!
ShaRe the LovE
You’ve come this far, now why not
Not only does your creativity need YOU, but here’s a surprise, the world needs your creativity, too! By sharing your response to a Ransom Note, we are building a community who will enjoy, be inspired by, and learn from each other. Who knows, maybe some of us will “find our tribe” or even make the world that tiny bit more pleasant to be in than it was 15 minutes ago!
oTHer ArtisTs who draW from LiFe
- Dorothea Tanning American painter, printmaker poet, sculptor influenced by Surrealism
- Jenny Saville British artist that often depicts her own life experience in very large scale
- Kehinde Wiley Brooklyn-based American artist, recently notable for his commissioned portrait of President Barack Obama. This is a new work immortalising three women he met in a St Louis cafe.
What other artists or techniques can you think of? Let me know!